Tuesday 8 January 2008

Varan

It doesn't get any better than this!

Each day, I suffer the phobia of answering the question 'What shall I cook today?' and each time, Ma comes to my rescue. I still have the emails which she'd sent me in October 2006 explaining how to make Varan. And guess what, it also included tips like when to turn the stove on and off. I still remember one of her mails instucting me, 'Sona, don't eat the cardamom pods - keep them aside while eating'. That's how caring my mother is. And she gives importance to even the minute details!

Serves 4
Time taken 60 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup of toor daal
3 medium white onions, chopped
5 green chillies, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp of jeera
1 tbsp of mustard
4 corns of black pepper
5 curry leaves
1/4 tsp of ginger garlic paste
1/4 tsp of turmeric
1/4 tsp of garam masala
salt to taste
oil for cooking
coriander for garnishing

Method:
Boil the toor daal till it is soft and nearly melts into the water. This should take around 30 minutes. Once done allow it to cool. Separate the daal from the water. Mash the daal.
Meanwhile, pour oil into a non-stick pan. Allow it to heat.
Add the jeera and mustard. Follow by adding the pepper corns and curry leaves.
Add the chopped onions and chillies. For for about 3 minutes.
Add the ginger garlic paste and fry a little more.
Add the chopped tomatoes. Fry.
Add the mashed daal. Allow it to boil.
Add the turmeric, garam masala and salt to taste.
Add the coriander for garnishing.
Serve piping hot.

No comments: